Secure DMX Cable Elimination and Wireless Data Distribution
A pair of RC4Magic Series 3 DMXio units (with or without the -HG external antenna option) replaces a DMX data cable in lighting control applications. Using a 2 dBi omnidirection antenna (included) they work reliably to 200 feet (65m) or more inside theatres and other performance spaces. The R-SMA antenna connector makes it easy to connect directional and high-gain antennas for improved range in some situations. For example, a directional antenna will direct the majority of RF energy in one direction, resulting in extended range in a specific area. The DMXio-HG is easily configured as a transmitter or receiver with the push of a button, and remembers the current setting until you change it. The DMXio is also the transmitter for RC4Magic wireless dimmers, including the DMX2dim, DMX4dim, DMX4dim-500, and more.
Each RC4Magic Series 3 system is factory programmed with three unique system IDs. RC4 IDs serve as system identifiers and encryption keys, ensuring interference-free operation anywhere, anytime, worldwide. Every RC4 user and project has their own IDs. Private IDs are shared only by explicit request with a written agreement between all parties involved.
A common public ID is also provided, allowing multiple RC4Magic Series 2 and Series 3 systems to be combined and used as one large system at any time.
RC4Magic devices on the same ID form a private wireless DMX network. Multiple IDs allow RC4Magic units to be configured as independent networks, each transporting a separate DMX universe.
Any number of DMXio receivers can be used. Thus, a multi-unit RC4Magic Series 3 system can take the place of splitters, isolators, and distribution boxes, providing superior electrical isolation while eliminating unsightly wiring.
As a transmitter, the DMXio decodes the incoming DMX universe, encodes and encrypts it, and broadcasts it using Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum (DSSS) digital radio. Unlike wired DMX, the broadcast signal includes error checking and correction codes, and is not affected by minor interruptions and interference. DMX channels that are changing are allocated more bandwidth than channels that are not changing, and all channels are broadcast with appropriate speed, redundancy and accuracy.
As a receiver, the DMXio decodes the rf signal from the transmitter, rebuilds the DMX universe, and regenerates a standard DMX signal with the same number of channels and the same packet rate as the data going into the transmitter. DMX in and out are compliant with USITT DMX512/1990.
Power can come from the supplied wall transformer, from external batteries, or (optionally via internal jumpers) from XLR pins 4 and 5. A small pack of 6 AA batteries can be used for portable operation with, for example, a DMXter, Pocket Console, or other battery powered DMX signal source.
In many cases, the DMXio can be connected right at your lighting console or other controller, before your DMX signal continues to other devices in your system. The distance from console to stage is rarely more than 100 feet, well within the 200 foot range of RC4Magic.
Line-of-sight is not required for RC4Magic, but dense objects between units — like concrete walls — will attenuate the radio signal and reduce the available range.
The standard model DMXio provides an internal omnidirectional antenna. Sometimes — though rarely — you may wish to use an external antenna. For those cases, select the external antenna option.
RC4Magic Series 3 DMXio-HG Specifications
- Dimensions: 3.4” x 2.3” x 1.55” nominal (approx. 86mm x 59mm x 40mm)
- Mounting flanges extend an additional 0.5″ (13mm), for a bottom footprint of 4.4″ x 2.3″ (112mm x 59mm)
- 5-pin male and female XLRs for DMX in and out, hardwired together
- Power Input: 6VDC – 23VDC, 100mA. AC POWER ADAPTOR INCLUDED. International purchasers will receive a multiprong adaptor with connections for Europe, UK, Australia, and North America. North American customers will receive a standard adaptor for use in USA and Canada.
- Standard 2.1mm power receptacle, center positive
- Internal jumper option to take power from XLR pins 4 and 5
- 3 user-selectable RC4 Private System IDs, plus the RC4 Public ID (each ID supports one independent DMX universe)
- User selectable internal DMX termination (enable/disable with the press of one button)
- Includes R-SMA antenna connector and 2 dBi antenna. Directional and high-gain antennas may be used for special applications (see the DMXio with standard internal antenna)
- Includes one (1) AC Adaptor
- Only 1 DMXio transmitter should be operated on each system ID.
- DMX Input: meets USITT DMX512/1990(4us) with 1-second data hold after dropout
- DMX Output: straight-thru hardware connection from DMX input to output
- Option DMX channel limiting: set lowest and highest channel using RC4 OneTouch (default is full 512-channel universe)
- Any number of DMXio receivers may be used in a system.
- DMX Output: meets USITT DMX512/1990
- The DMX specification allows up to 32 devices on a DMX output. The DMXio data output exceeds this requirement and is capable of driving additional devices.
- Internally protected against static discharge and excessive line loading.
RC4Magic DMX Protocol Compliance
- DMX inputs and outputs comply with USITT DMX512/1990(4us).
- Packets with non-zero start codes are not transmitted; RC4Magic cannot transfer proprietary data or RDM packets.
- DMXio receiver output replicates DMXio transmitter input, providing the same number of DMX channels and the same number of packets per second (pps).
- Minimum number of DMX channels per packet: 1
- Maximum number of DMX channels per packet: 512
- Maximum packet-per-second rate: 44pps with 512 channels, 10000pps with 1 channel
All prices and specifications are subject to change without notice.